Mamma's Veggie Pies
So I was having a gravy craving when thinking about what to do for dinner tonight. I had spent most of the day doing housework and decided that a clean house and a big dinner would be the perfect welcome home for hubby. It really was a mess when he left for work this morning. So much so that he actually text me mid-morning to see how I was getting on and most probably to check I hadn’t drowned under a pile of clothing/books/toys you name it.
- 5 chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 1 Leek sliced
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 4 New potatoes cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup edamame beans
- Vegan gravy of choice
- Mint sauce (optional)
- Ready rolled vegan puff pastry
- Cook all veggies separately using your preferred method of cooking. I fried the mushroom and leek in my cast iron pan to aid iron absorption and steamed my veg. I boiled the pearl barley for 10 minutes as instructed to on the packaging
- I then filled each individual pie dish with a selection of each ingredient and topped with my vegan gravy. (I added a dessert spoon of mint jelly into a pint of gravy for extra yummy-ness ) and topped each pie with the ready roll pastry
- I made pretty pastry initials to top each pie and popped in the oven on gas mark 4 for about 20 minutes
- I served with sweet potato mash and a big pile of kale. Mmmmm!