Hello Tuesday! Monday’s done and now the only way is up! It may seem like a way to go before the weekend so nurture yourself with this delicious bowl and enjoy the moment.
This is a cuddle in a bowl. My ‘go to’ when I’m feeling down and out or run down with a cold. It’s full of all the good stuff to heal your body and the zesty lemon squeezed on at serving makes it fresh, light and easy to eat even if you’re feeling unwell. As with most of our recipes, this is a really versatile dish. You can use any of your favourite vegetables and change out the pasta for potatoes or even rice if you prefer. It’s a great dish to use up any leftovers you have and it’s easy flavours and speedy prep make it a perfect family dish to keep even the little ones happy about getting in the greens.
As a vegan mum, I am continually checking what nutrients my family need and what plants are richest in this, that and the other. I am permanently on a quest to get calcium-rich foods into my little beauties that don’t always come in the shape of vegan yoghurts!! (Although they do have their place!) I am trying really hard to source 90% of our nutrients from whole plant foods. So this is where the greens and beans come in. One cup of chickpeas contains 210mg of calcium and 1 cup of kale contains 100mg. If you add these to the sizeable quantities of calcium found in the green beans, asparagus and carrots you'll find yourself dishing up a perfect sized serving of calcium to you and yours. For an added bonus you could sprinkle the dish with sesame seeds to pack an even bigger calcium punch! (Yes I know a lot about calcium😬)
So to the recipe...
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 medium carrots
- Handful mini corn
- Handful of green beans
- 100g Kale (we used black kale but any dark leafy greens will do)
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas or any bean of choice
- Handful of asparagus
- A few fresh sage leaves
- 4 cups of wholemeal pasta
- 2 x vegetable stock cubes and enough water to cover the broth items
- Slices of lemon to serve
- Season to taste
- Slice your garlic and cook gently with two tablespoons of water. This is the equivalent to softening in oil
- Turn off the heat before adding the next ingredients
- Chop your carrots and corn into small pieces and add them to the pan.
- Add your pasta, chickpeas and stock cubes and cover with boiling water (you’ll need to top this up a little as the pasta drinks it up)
- Gently simmer for 10-15 minutes
- In the meantime wash your kale and break your asparagus and green beans into bite-size pieces
- Put your Kale into a blender and chop it up into sprinkle size pieces
- Check on the broth. Top it up with more water if necessary and then add the kale, green beans, sage and asparagus
- Simmer for 5 minutes and season to taste
- Serve with lemon slices and crusty bread
Caution! The broth will be extremely hot to begin with so be cautious particularly when serving to children that you allow cooling time before eating.
So, if you are on the quest for a more whole foods plant-based diet and your family are dragging their heels on the journey, start them off with this little gem. It’s enough to make even the biggest junk food junkie take off their hat and shout ‘Bring me the kale!’ Enjoy! 😉