Gló Foods - Chickpea & Coconut Curry
Today’s recipe has been inspired by a recipe by Gló foods. They are a fabulous vegan supermarket that stock a huge selection of organic foods. We stumbled upon them recently and whilst putting together our order we found out they had a recipe section. This is where you can buy meal packages that include all of the ingredients you need and a recipe card to direct you on how to make each dish. They have a huge selection of recipes from pasta dishes to soups and stews and even sweet treats too. They are a great way of helping new vegans learn staple recipes and for veteran vegans to get in quick and simple meals. This time we decided to go for the curry as it looked too tempting to turn down and we weren’t disappointed. We are giving you an adapted version today simply so you get the best of both worlds. If you enjoy this recipe then you know you’ll love theirs too and then you get two recipes for the price of one! Now, before we head into the recipe I wanted to give you a few handy hints for if you decide to shop with Gló foods. I don’t usually like to push the sale of other businesses but I was so impressed by them that I felt compelled to share the love for this new and upcoming business. Plus us vegans have got to stick together right?
So, here are my top 3 must-haves from their stock list:
- Wolf + Scott pancake mix. They come in raw cacao and super seed flavour. Now, I know I’m a vegan food blogger but I’m still trying to perfect my vegan pancake skills (I’ve had so many flops!!) and these pancakes are simply perfect every time. They are organic and loaded with nutrients and quite frankly, yummy scrummy!
- Le Conserve Della Nonna Green Pesto. We are a crazy pesto family. We have it on things, in things, on the side of things and on pasta at least once a week! This one is really delicious and they also stock some really delicious pasta sauces from the same range too!
- The British Quinoa Company quinoa flakes. This is a range of products that offer quinoa in a range of forms from flavoured, to toasted but our favourite is the quinoa flakes. We have porridge or homemade muesli for breakfast every day so it makes a lovely change to have an alternative to the oats to add a different texture and nutritional benefits. We’ve honestly not seen anything else like this before so it was a real find!
Recipe - serves 4
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Tsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tsp ground coriander
- Sweet potato 550g, cubed
- 400ml Tinned Coconut Milk
- 400g Tinned Chickpeas
- 300g Brown Rice
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1⁄2 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 400ml Vegetable Stock
- Handful of kale
- Cup of chopped pineapple
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Handful fresh coriander to serve
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pan and pour in the cumin seeds.
- Cook them until they pop or are light brown.
- Chop the onions and garlic and soften in the pan.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, dried coriander and chilli powder and stir through.
- (Now is a good time to start cooking your rice according to the packet instructions.)
- Add the sweet potato and vegetable stock and cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are almost soft.
- Add in the coconut milk, kale, chickpeas and pineapple and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with the rice and top with the fresh coriander.
Gló foods is a family run business and you can find them here on Twitter and Instagram. If you are after a genuine vegan stockist with a keen regard for organic food and high-quality produce then they are a fantastic choice. The more we support these up and coming vegan business the quicker we will all spread the word of veganism and the easier it will be for us to keep ourselves topped up with yummy vegan treats! They quite often have promotional offers of free delivery or discounted shopping rates so be sure to keep your eyes peeled and follow them on social media for the latest deals.
We hope you enjoy today’s recipe as much as we do. It has been a real family favourite.