IT’S FRIDAY!!! Thank me later but today I’m dishing out my personal favourite because IT’S FRIDAY!!!
Super Duper Wuper Vegan Chilli 🌶
This has to be my favourite bowl of the week. Whenever I tell the kids that we are having chilli for dinner I am met with shrieks of delight. It is so quick and simple to make and is by far, better than any meat version I had made in the past. It’s warming, comforting and completely balanced in the nutrient stakes. The spices are great antioxidants helping to keep those ‘nasties’ away from your family by keeping their immune systems fighting fit. It’s loaded with beans and lentils making it a great choice when trying to keep your iron levels up. It has plenty of balancing vitamin c from the peppers and tomatoes making the iron more absorbable. It’s meals like this that helped safely raise Pops’ iron levels. We spent 2 years trying to get her to eat meat which she hated. (Huge regrets!) However, within 6 months of eating vegan she has consumed more iron than she ever did on our carnivorous diet and is bouncing around all rosy cheeked and full of life now. (And her eczema has cleared up since going vegan too but that’s a whole other story!) As any mum will know it’s truly lovely looking around the dinner table watching your whole family contentedly snuffling up their dinner and loving every bit of it. What a bonus to watch them loving something so nutrient dense too. Served with the avocado for important healthy fats this really is a staple for any energetic health conscious family. Well, it would be selfish to keep this recipe a secret any longer so let’s get to it!
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 peppers in mixed colours
- 1 courgette
- 2 cups red lentils
- 400-500g passata (use less of both of your tin beans come in a sauce and more if they don’t.)
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tin baked beans
- 1 tin of mixed beans in a spicy tomato sauce (you could use any other beans eg kidney beans. They don’t have to be in a sauce as we are making our own, this is just my kids favourite bean mix.)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- Avocado to serve
- Crisp lettuce to serve
- A nice loaf of bread to serve
- Chop the onion, pepper, garlic and courgette and cook in a couple of tablespoons of water for 5 minutes (this is the equivalent to frying without the oil!)
- Rinse your red lentils off
- Add all of the chilli ingredients into the pan and cook gently until the lentils are tender (If the mixture becomes too dry due to the thirsty lentils then add a cup of water whenever they need a drink)
- Serve with lettuce, sliced avocado and crusty bread.
I really hope you love this bowl as much as we do. I can honestly say we have it at least once a week. And if you have any leftovers they go great in tortilla wraps or spooned over jacket potatoes. ( I said if there are any leftovers 😬) I would love to hear of any variations you make on this dish. Photos too, please! Enjoy!