This is a crazy simple recipe. It is one of those that you can’t believe you had never tried before but when you do you know it will be a family fave forevermore.
The thing I love most about these crunchy snacks is the fact they are so nutritious. The flax seed is quite possibly one of the healthiest foods on the planet and what’s even better is that their nutrients don’t get damaged in the cooking process!
Flax are an amazing source of plant based Omega 3 and fibre. (Both soluble and insoluble.) However, the thing that makes flax seeds the giant in the plant world is their amount of lignans. They contain up to 800 times more lignans than other plant-foods. Lignans are responsible for the antioxidant effect that heralds these with the anti-cancer label they have been given. (Check out nutritionfacts.org and search for flax seeds.) Yes, these bad boys can prevent lots of the nasty illnesses out there so they are high on my list of must-haves at every shopping session.
These crackers are totally scrumpy. They are super crunchy and have a lovely nutty taste from the toasted seeds. They are the perfect vessel for carrying hummus, cream cheese, or any topping of your choice. (Mmm, Marmite.) They store really nicely and retain their crunch perfectly. This makes them ideal for picnics, lunch boxes or midnight feasts!
Now, straight to the recipe as these crackers are so simple, quick, affordable and delicious to make that I don’t really need to say much more about it!
- You’ll need either a non-stick tray, greaseproof paper or a silicone baking mat
- 2 cups of flax seeds light or dark (we used these)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Season to taste
- Spray oil
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5 or 375F
- Mix all of the ingredients together and let sit in a bowl to get sticky.
- Line your baking tray with greaseproof paper and spray with oil.
- Pour your flax mixture onto your tray and use a spoon to flatten out across the tray. (The thinner the later, the crunchier they will be.)
- Score lines in the mixture so they crack easily when baked.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until gently golden and crisp.
- Let cool a little before removing from the paper.
Help us out!
If you have any questions or comments, leave them down below, or shoot us an e-mail! And, as always, if you’re thinking about buying some of the items mentioned in our blog, use our Amazon links throughout this article or down below; it helps us create content that you like to read or that helps you out, and it costs you nothing — win/win! We appreciate the support.